Membership in Phi Beta Kappa is by invitation only.
If you have received a formal email letter/email invitation from the UConn Chapter President and Secretary, you may pay your membership/chapter fee either online at pbk.org or by mailing a check to the chapter treasurer, as follows.
- Go to http://www.pbk.org/
- Choose “Accept your Invitation” either under the Membership menu (top of page) or by clicking the Membership tile (center of page).
- Select the Chapter (“University of Connecticut”) and enter the passcode from your invitation letter/email.
- Follow instructions to register for an account and pay by credit card.
- Note: it is very important that you enter your email address correctly, as all communications/confirmations will go to this address! (Use an email address you plan to keep/check for the foreseeable future.)
- Once online registration is complete, you will receive an email from the national PBK Society confirming that you have paid or indicating the amount owed. Please note that you will not be an official member until the Chapter Secretary has validated your membership registration, which may not happen immediately.
Paying by Check
If you are paying your $115 membership/chapter fee by check, please make it payable to “Phi Beta Kappa” and send to Dr. Ken Foote, Chapter Treasurer, Geography Department, U-4148, UConn, Storrs, CT 06269-4148.
PBK membership is for life. The initiation fee is a one-time fee: you will never be charged again. The cost for membership in 2019 is $115 ($85 national initiation fee + $30 UConn chapter fee).
If the initiation fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Dr. Ken Foote at (860)486-2196 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
After your membership has been validated by the Chapter Secretary, you may order your Phi Beta Kappa key and/or a certificate of election through the national web site.
Congratulations, and we look forward to seeing you at initiation!
If you have any questions or concerns about membership costs and payment, please contact the chapter treasurer, Dr. Ken Foote, at (860)486-2196 or email@example.com.